Whether you want to build a simple television stand or a complete entertainment center, there is a wide selection of free and low-cost TV stand plans in many beautiful styles.
Building a Television Stand
Perhaps you have a new flat screen television set that does not fit correctly on your old TV stand or you simply want to update the look of your furniture. If you enjoy woodworking, building your stand is fun, rewarding and a lot less expensive than buying a new one.
The kind of TV stand you choose to make will depend on several factors:
- Your woodworking skill level
- The size of your television set
- The style and design of your television set
- The type of television stand you want to build
Types of Television Stands
Plans for television stands are available for several basic styles. Once you determine the style you want to build, choose the design that complements the style and decor of the room. Television stands include modern and traditional versions of the following basic styles:
- Open shelf
- Low closed door cabinet
- Low bookcase
- Entertainment center
- Armoire style
Where to Find TV Stand Plans Online
The Internet provides a number of excellent resources for free and nominally priced plans for stands for television sets.
Plans Now offers nominally priced plans for TV stands and entertainment centers. Although anyone can order a woodworking plan from the website, you can choose to become a Plans Now member at one of the three available levels. The classic level of membership is free and those who join are given a 20 percent discount. Members of the gold and platinum levels are both charged a monthly fee and are provided many additional benefits.
The following are examples of the plans offered for televisions stands:
- A stylish low stand perfect for a wide screen plasma or LCD television measures 75 inches wide. This TV stand features bottom storage cabinets and a large drawer, giving you plenty of space for all of your components and DVD collection
- Standing almost seven feet in height, the TV storage section of this magnificent home entertainment center features pocket doors. The two side cabinets provide ample storage room and there is also storage space under the television shelf.
The plans offered at Plans Now are priced at $9.95 each for non-members and can be downloaded upon payment.
Woodworkers Workshop offers more than a dozen plans for TV stands ranging from contemporary to Early American furniture styles. Many of the plans offered from this website are free.
Among the television stands offered on this website is a simple, yet elegant, television stand that pairs perfectly with a large flat screen TV. It is the perfect height for comfortable viewing. Also available are the plans for a matching coffee table and end table.
Several other television stand designs include:
- A closed cabinet style corner television stand holds a television up to 26 inches inside the unit.
- An armoire styled entertainment center
- A low cabinet entertainment center
Additional Sources of Plans
- Packed with great woodworking tips, Drill Bits Plus offers links to television stands such as this modern compact television cabinet made to hold a television set up to 23 inches. The modern lines of this TV stand make it the perfect choice for bedrooms and apartments with limited space.
- Rockler Woodworking and Hardware offers a free plan for a television stand that is on wheels.
- Two of the plans offered at The Wood Store include a slim profile wall mounted television cabinet and a modern sleek television stand with clean lines.
- A corner media cabinet holds a large size television and provides ample storage room underneath for all of your accessories.
TV stand plans are available in a number of popular styles requiring varying degrees of woodworking skills.