There is nothing that gives a bedroom romantic ambiance like a wrought iron canopy bed. Wrought iron can be shaped in intricate curls or given contemporary clean lines, making it one of the most versatile types of canopy bed styles available.
Shopping Tips and Where to Buy
You can find some good resources online for purchasing wrought iron canopy beds. The following list will help guide you through some of the available online retailers which may also have showrooms you can visit locally if you live in the area.
- Charles P. Rogers Beds: This company is one of America's oldest manufacturers of wrought iron beds and also sells them directly to the public. The company's products are not mass- produced; instead they are handmade, much as they were since the company was founded in 1855. Many of the beds are true to their original designs, but they are sized to fit modern mattresses. Charles P. Rogers Beds Direct has showrooms open to the public in Manhattan and New Jersey. You can purchase directly from the website, by phone or by mail order through their catalog.
- Iron Accents: The selection here is fairly small, but the styles are beautiful. This company offers a 30-day return policy, but clearance items and custom-made items are not eligible. The company also only offers shipping in the United States.
- Claudio Rayes: Don't be fooled by the simple design of the website. Claudio Rayes has beautiful wrought iron canopy beds designed in Italy. Fortunately, you don't have to travel to Europe to see these beds in person. The company has a showroom in High Point, North Carolina, one of the largest furniture markets in the world. Even if North Carolina is too far to travel, the website offers beautiful photographs of the many different bed frame designs. Claudio Rayes also offers a convenient in-house payment plan that allows you to spread your payments over several months.
Add a Romantic Feel to Your Bedroom
Since wrought iron can be molded in so many different shapes, it is the perfect choice for a romantic bedroom. From scrolls to stylized Art Noveau designs, wrought iron can help you to create your very own bed and breakfast hideaway. There are so many different looks you can achieve with the graceful and elegant draping of fine material from the canopy, you could create a look fit for royalty.
Wrought iron is traditionally black. However, it can be painted and is available in white. Some manufacturers are offering other premium finishes as well. These come in several finishes, including:
- Hand rubbed bronze
- Hand rubbed pewter
- Gold accents
Contemporary to Traditional
Those who prefer a contemporary look will appreciate the unique beauty of a wrought iron canopy bed just as much as those who love a traditional or rustic look. These beds are often simple, with elegant lines. Some are made with wooden accents for a more traditional or rustic feel, perfect for a bungalow or other historic home. The types of accessories that you use will also play a role in the final look of your bed. You can create any look from exotic, modern, Victorian or even Western, with the designs available.
Keep Your Bed Looking Good
Caring for your wrought iron investment will help it to last for a long time. In order to maintain the beauty of your bed, do the following on a regular basis:
- Dust regularly
- Wash with soap and water and dry thoroughly a few times a year
- Apply a good quality car wax to keep the finish sealed
- Look for rust in the areas where it was welded
- If rust appears, scrub with a toothbrush and cleaner
- Dry thoroughly and use retouch paint as needed
- Sand deep scratches and apply an anti-rust paint like Rustoleum
Beautiful and Durable
Canopy beds are a beautiful addition to any type of bedroom. While they are not space savers, one of these beds can complete your look perfectly. Many people love wrought iron for its versatile look as well as ease of care and strength. It is a good choice for a child's room because good quality wrought iron is not easily broken. If you love the look of a canopy and want something that will still look good when you have grandchildren, a wrought iron canopy bed may be exactly what you are looking for.