Dining rooms are spaces designed for entertaining with more of a formal atmosphere than other rooms in the home. Therefore, it's natural to spend a little more on durable and attractive dining room furniture than you might spend on other types of furniture.
Dining Furniture Styles
The style of furniture you choose for your dining room should blend well with the other furniture in your home. If you want to try a different style for this room because it's a more formal environment, you might want to consult with an interior decorator. She will have the experience and design knowledge to pick out different furniture styles that can balance and harmonize with each other.
Traditional Dining Room Furniture
Traditional style dining tables and chairs feature the characteristics of 17th and 18th century provincial European designs with features such as:
- Bun shaped feet
- Elegantly curved cabriole legs
- Vase shaped splats (the wood in the center of the chair's back)
You can find very elegant and formal, Louis XV, French style dining room collections that include traditional pieces such as buffets with overhead glass-enclosed hutches, sideboards with mirrors and curio cabinets. Traditional style furniture will feature a lot of curved lines, fancy molding and elegant ornamentation.
Where to Buy
- Home Furniture Mart carries over 40 different brands of furniture and offers a great selection of traditional dining sets.
In addition to the wide variety of furniture styles available at Home Furniture Mart, you can choose from three different shipping and delivery options, so study them carefully to find the best fit.
Modern Dining Room Furniture
For a modern style home, you can find sleek and simple dining sets with matching servers in both light and dark finishes that will complement the open and uncluttered environment of a minimalist dining room.
Both modern and contemporary furniture is designed with the principle that form follows function. While modern furniture is certainly stylish, the design is focused more on what the furniture will be used for.
Where to Buy
- All Modern- The name certainly says it all for this furniture store, which features ultra-sleek, ultra-modern dining sets, pub tables, bar stools, benches, sideboards and servers.
- High Fashion Home- The sleek and sexy dining room furniture sold here is hot enough to take a spin on the catwalk.
Don't miss all the modern tableware, flatware, table linens, glassware and bar and wine accessories offered at All Modern. You can also get free shipping on most orders over $69.
Be sure to check out the room ideas at High Fashion Home, such as the Pop Life Dining Room. Expert designers put these rooms together and show you how to get the same look in your home.
Custom Dining Room Furniture
If you would like to have an active voice in customizing your dining room furniture, some retailers offer interactive customization tools on their websites. You can choose different designs and upholstery options for dining chairs, shapes, sizes and finishes for tables and door styles, and foot styles and finishes for cabinets. You can even customize the type of distressing finish on wood furniture.
Where to Buy
- Bassett- Find a nice blend of both traditional and contemporary design features, giving the furniture a transitional style that will work in either a traditional or contemporary styled home.
- The Hickory Chair Furniture Company- The best features of traditional style furniture with a modern twist would describe the furniture found here, perfectly suited for a contemporary home.
If you purchase the furniture online, your local Basset retail store will handle your order for you. Be sure to read the online sale terms and conditions before placing your order. Once an order is submitted, it can only be canceled through the retail store and will be subject to a 33% restocking fee. You can choose to have the furniture delivered or you can arrange for pickup at your local Basset retailer.
The Hickory Chair Furniture Company's furniture cannot be purchased directly from the website. You will need to use the store locator to find a local authorized dealer in your area. Custom furniture takes longer to complete and ship than regular furniture so be sure to place your order several months in advance of when you will need to furniture.
Tropical Dining Room Furniture
If you'd like to try something a little more exotic, dining room furniture made from tropical hardwoods like rattan, mahogany, teak and bamboo can be very stylish and considered eco-friendly. Rattan is a vine-like plant that grows along trees in tropical regions of South Asia. It is an extremely strong and durable material for making furniture. The term "wicker" actually refers to a type of weave used in the furniture's construction. Bamboo is actually classified as a type of grass and is one of the fastest growing plants on the planet. A large majority of commercial tropical wood is now being sustainably harvested on carefully controlled plantations.
Where to Buy
- Rattan Wicker Furniture Company- Carries a variety of rattan and wicker dining sets. Many of the tables feature beveled glass table tops. You can also choose from three types of buffet servers made from mahogany or alder wood.
- American Rattan- This company has a very large selection, 18 pages, of tropical dining sets. They will send you up to 9 swatches of upholstery fabric with a good faith deposit for an order.
You can see the furniture at Rattan Wicker Furniture Company in person by making an appointment to visit the showroom located in Royal Palm Beach, Florida.
American Rattan offers customization services for special orders and free shipping on all rattan dining sets.
Making the Best Choice
If you choose your dining room furniture carefully, it should last a lifetime. Before you commit to buying furniture online, visit a few different furniture showrooms in your area. Check the construction of the chairs and sit down on a few to see how comfortable they are. This could help you identify what you do and don't want when shopping online.